Letter to Incoming Seniors

Back to Article
Back to Article

Letter to Incoming Seniors

Seniors Alexandra Truszkowska (L) and Natalia Miniatis (R) enjoy the tradition of painting cars before the first day of school in August 2018

Alexandra Truszkowska, Editor in Chief

Three years ago, I wrote a letter to the incoming freshmen. Now you’re seniors, huh? I guess this means I’m washed up! I’m officially handing my cowboy hat down and I expect a lot of you guys as rising seniors. As someone who’s walked the walk (ahem, taken the AP tests, studied for the midterms, applied and then gotten into college), I have a few tips and pieces of advice that can really help you in the upcoming fall.

First thing first, senior year is totally different from junior year. Although academics are still important, especially in the first semester, your classes should be a lot more laid back with less stress. You don’t need to worry about the SAT or ACT anymore (thankfully!) and you’ll actually find time to do stuff you didn’t before. Got your grad requirements out of the way? Take a fun elective class with friends that you wouldn’t before – after all, it’s your last time to take one in high school!

Senior year will be hard though in a different sense. To be honest, it goes by the fastest out of all of the four. In a blink of the eye you’ll be painting your car and parking in the lot, dressing up for your last pep rallies, yelling out your final “Rowdy” at the football games, taking senior prom photos, going whitewater rafting, and throwing your cap in the air after moving your tassel to the other side. You’re going to miss lunches with your best friends, gossiping about drama, and your favorite teachers. Take a lot of photos. Trust me.

But there is so much to look forward to. You’re the king of the school – and the freshmen will bow down to you (just don’t be too hard on them). You can do an internship and find (or follow) your passions. You can leave for lunch, hopping around Chipotle, Wegmans, and whatever you feel fit. You can take a study hall and chill for a period. Whatever you do, it’s totally up to you, but make the most of it before …

College! If you’re deciding to go next fall, there’s a few things to keep in mind. Repeat after me: Do Not Procrastinate! A lot of colleges have early deadlines for EA and ED applications as well as for scholarships. Start your main essay as soon as possible and start thinking about those supplementary essays too. I know too many kids that wrote crappy essays under time constraints and ended up not being accepted to their schools.

Now this may be hypocritical but do as I say and not as I do. Senioritis is so real. You do still have to take classes (at least Gym and English) but many decide to load up on APs for college. Remember what the end goal is: graduating with a high GPA! You’ve worked so hard for three years, don’t squander it now!

With four years under my belt, I would consider myself a bit of a Hills pro. Although I’m sad to be a freshman again, I know that I’m leaving the school in good hands. If you need me, you can find me at the University of Maryland, probably wearing a Hills shirt and definitely still full of Hills Pride.