Up And Coming Albums To Look Out For

Picture credit: Wixstatic

By Alexandra Truszkowska, Staff Writer

Even with the end of summer just around the corner, there are many things to look forward for, such as back-to-school shopping, seeing friends again, and of course, new music. With September here in a blink of an eye, here are the top five albums you need to hear (and play on repeat all the way to class).

1.  “Suicide Squad: The Album”- Various Artists

Released August fifth, the movie soundtrack from the supervillain movie includes a multitude of different genres ranging from alternative to rap from various artists. Featuring Twenty One Pilots’ extremely popular “Heathens,” and Panic! At The Disco’s cover of “Bohemian Rhapsody,” the album also offers a slower, more lyrical,  alternative side. But of course, Skrillex and Rick Ross’ “Purple Lamborghini” and Eminem’s “Without Me,” reminds listeners that this album is also leaning towards a pump-up, electronic beat that captures the energy of the movie. However, the album’s biggest hit is undoubtedly  “You Don’t Own Me,” featuring Australian starlet Grace and rising Bay Area rapper G-Eazy. With quick changes in keys and a special something that leaves goosebumps on your skin, this song perfectly explains the “crazy” that is the relationship between The Joker and Harley Quinn.

1.     “Illuminate”- Shawn Mendes

After becoming a massive hit Vine, and an even bigger hit with his first single, “Stitches,” Mendes is slowly becoming a teen pop star. His popularity is expected to grow  with his sophomore album, “Illuminate.” Already releasing songs such as “Treat You Better,” and “Ruin,” Mendes promises his fans that his lyrics are more “edgy” and that the [new] album “totally demolishes Handwritten,” his previous album. Expected September 23rd, the album won’t quite be ready for the start of the new school year, but you can listen to his catchy promotional single, “Three Empty Words,” and Mendes will remind you that “we can’t fix what’s broken.”

1.    “Straight To DVD II: Past, Present, And Future Hearts”- All Time Low

When they released their first official video/live music album in 2010, pop-punk/alternative band All Time Low received unexpected acclaim from fans – so much that they were able to release a second. A play on their most recent album, Future Hearts, “Straight To DVD II” includes the live version of “Kids In The Dark,” the lead single. With over 22 songs live from the Wembley Arena in England, it’s a hard pick for best song. Alongside music, listeners can expect live commentary before and after songs, such as funny antics and jokes from lead singer Alex Gaskarth and guitarist Jack Barakat. Every song on the list is from a variety of albums already released, but “Dear Maria, Count Me In,” is always a crowd favorite and surely captures the hearts of all fans, both new and old.

1.      “Brave Enough”- Lindsey Stirling

For music fans more interested in a classical crossover with a twist of violin, Lindsey Stirling’s Brave Enough was released in Mid-August. To make sure her music stays at the top of the charts, Stirling has managed to include many vocalists including Christina Perri and Dan + Shay. With 14 songs on the album, and one dedicated to her fellow bandmate who passed due to cancer, Brave Enough captures the freedom of spirit in each song, from “Something Wild,” to “Prism.” At only $9.99, Stirling creates a blend of songs, both with and without lyrics, for an album that flows beautifully together. With electronic beats infused with violin, this album makes a no-brainer for perfect songs to listen to while doing homework.

1. “The Black Parade/Living With Ghosts (The Tenth Anniversary Edition)”- My Chemical Romance

Rock band My Chemical Romance, commonly abbreviated to “MCR,” rocked the nation with their edgy music in the mid-late 2000s. Nearly a decade following arguably the peak of their career, MCR announced that they would be re-releasing their 2006 album, The Black Parade, with additional songs and never before heard cuts, from live demos to rough mixes. Coming back on the ten-year anniversary of their most famous album, MCR gives their millions of fans a taste of strong drum beats and the classical teenage angst lyrics from frontman Gerard Way. With 25 songs on the album for only $13.99, the album is expected September 23rd, with a sneak peek of “The Five Of Us Are Dying (Rough Mix)” available to listen to upon preorder, and has similar beats and lyrics to the famous “The Black Parade,” a finished song named after the title of the album. For fans, this is just what we needed to remind ourselves that, although MCR is over, they’re forever in our hearts.

For a playlist of some of these songs, click here.