No more cap decorations: PVRHSD admin votes for ‘unified’ class graduation ceremony

During the class meeting on April 11, Principal Timothy Wieland announced that seniors would not be able to decorate their graduation caps. The decision would impact both Pascack Hills and Pascack Valley seniors starting this year.
The+2018+Pascack+Hills+graduation.+
Pascack Hills High School
The 2018 Pascack Hills graduation.

Following the senior parent meeting in early February, it was announced that members of the Class of 2024 would not be allowed to decorate their graduation caps. 

On Feb. 26, a meeting was held with Pascack Hills administration at the request of the senior Student Government Association (SGA). The representatives argued for permission to add removable toppers to the caps, which would be taken off before the actual ceremony. The result of this meeting was that the rule change was still under consideration and a decision had not been made. 

“We want the last time that you are together as a class to feel [like] a whole class. So, the decision is going to be to not decorate the caps,” he said. 

We want the last time that you are together as a class to feel [like] a whole class. So, the decision is going to be to not decorate the caps

— Principal Timothy Wieland

Wieland said that students should bring their suggestions to the senior SGA, who have been tasked with making a list of potential guidelines. At the Feb. 26 meeting, executive officers began to generate ideas, but nothing was finalized. 

“Then, we will reconsider that decision,” he said.

Following the meeting, senior Executive Class President Samuel Fruitbine said that SGA members would begin generating the new list. 

In an interview with the Trailblazer, Wieland clarified that graduation cap decorating started with the Classes of 2022 and 2023, respectively. In years past, students were unable to put anything on their caps. The rule change in 2022 was based on the requests of multiple seniors and class advisors.

Concerns were raised after students put “extra things” on their gowns at last year’s graduation, according to Wieland. Flags and other items were also utilized during the actual ceremony. He sat down with Superintendent Sarah Bilotti and Pascack Valley Principal John Puccio to determine if the rule needed further clarification. 

“The concerns that I have with the caps are whether it takes away from the unified one class graduating. This is the last time your class will be together, it should be a celebration of everybody as a whole, not necessarily everybody’s uniqueness,” he said.

Wieland addressed the students who may feel disappointed by this change. 

The one big piece for me is that we’re all able to celebrate the Class of 2024’s graduation night

— Principal Timothy Wieland

“Sometimes the tough part of being the principal of Pascack Hills is you know that decisions are going to affect different people differently. I think as long as I can clearly articulate the why behind it and where it’s coming from, if it disappoints or upsets people, at least they know where it’s coming from,” he said.

The question remains: will the senior SGA be able to sway the minds of the administration? Is cap decorating appropriate at the high school level or does it infringe on the creative uniqueness of students?

Graduation is the last time the entire senior class will be together. Many seniors have been in the same school since elementary and so it is truly the end of an era. 

“The one big piece for me is that we’re all able to celebrate the Class of 2024’s graduation night,” he said. 

This story is developing.