The history of horoscopes

Follow along while the Trailblazer dives into important terms to assist you in learning more about astrology and how it works!
Licensed by Creative Commons

You may have read the Trailblazer’s “monthly horoscopes” articles, but have you been craving a more in-depth guide to understanding horoscopes and how they function? Follow along while the Trailblazer dives into important terms to assist you in learning more about astrology and how it works!

For those who don’t know, astrology is the belief that the arrangement of stars and planets impact every individual’s mood, personality, and environment depending on when they were born. For example, based on each person’s time and date of birth, they have specific horoscopes that predict their upcoming futures. 

Let’s plunge right into the terms that are crucial to aid your understanding of the astrology world. 

Birth chart

A great place to start is understanding your birth chart, also referred to as an astrology chart. This is a snapshot of the planets at the exact time, location, and date of your birth. Each individual’s personalized chart can be read to interpret what types of energy they were exposed to at the moment they came into this world. The best part of the birth chart is that it is personalized to you! This is where monthly horoscopes differentiate, because they are more broad and generalized, whereas your birth chart is individualized. 

Zodiac and horoscope

In astrology, a sign of the zodiac refers to constellations that the sun passes through. You may be familiar with the term, as it is normalized to ask peers and even new friends their sign! A person’s zodiac is determined by the position of the sun at that particular time you were born. On the other hand, horoscopes forecast your present or future and are determined by the stars and planets. 

Houses

Similar to a birth chart, the zodiac is divided into 12 houses. For example, in a neighborhood, each house is different, just like how it is for your zodiac! Each house represents a different facet of your life. For instance, houses 1-6 are the personal houses and rule the private, immediate parts of your life, whereas houses 7-12 are interpersonal and explore less intimate areas. If you’re looking to learn more deeply about yourself, it is highly recommended to look into your 12 houses!

Ascendant/rising sign

In addition to what you have learned so far, it is also important to know that each person has an ascendant sign, or more commonly known as a rising sign. This sign is based on the eastern horizon at the exact time of your birth. Although the rising sign is often referred to as the mask worn in public, it is more in-depth and personal. When looked into, this sign can reveal themes and patterns that may have been recurring throughout your lifetimes. Additionally, by looking into our rising sign, it informs not only how you see others, but how others perceive you. It may sound complex, but this can be useful in finding a deeper connection within yourself.

Earth, water, fire, and air signs

The earth, water, fire, and air signs represent the elements that are associated with each horoscope. These four elements are believed to influence the zodiac signs, behaviors, and personalities.

Earth signs 

Earth signs are known to be the more intuitive and driven signs. They are also the most grounded, which correlates to the element that they are associated with. 

Taurus (April 20- May 20): Taurus are known to be the practical, gentle, and most stable sign. They are often the most reliable sign and good with people.

Virgo (August 23-September 22): Virgos are often very detail-oriented, pensive, and practical people. They take a more literal approach in helping others, but it helps keep them real. 

Capricorn (December 22- January 19): Capricorn are known to be the most ambitious, hardworking, and persevering. They never back down from a fight, making them even stronger.

Water signs 

The water signs are known to be sentimental, emotional, and vulnerable. They are also very attentive to other people’s feelings, which aids them to be more attentive to other aspects of life. 

Cancer (June 21- July 22): Cancers are the most nurturing, sensitive, and emotional sign. Cancers are known to form lifelong connections, and have strong feelings about family and home. 

Scorpio (October 23- November 21): Scorpios are known to be passionate and assertive while also remaining mysterious. This makes them highly emotional in a different, yet important way. 

Pisces (February 19- March 20): Pisces are known to be the most empathetic, artsy, and creative sign. They are very attentive to criticism and have a high emotional sensitivity. 

Fire signs

The fire signs are the most vibrant, lively, and assertive signs. They enjoy being at the center of attention and are easily able to help other people by creating a vibrant path for them to shine on. 

Aries (March 21- April 19): Aries are known to be the most assertive, energetic, and daring sign. They enjoy a good challenge and upholding the initiative in group settings.

Leo (July 23- August 22): Leo’s are the most confident, expressive, and captivating sign. Leo’s are known to be at the center of every party and crave validation from others. 

Sagittarius (November 22- December 21): Sagittarius are often positive, thoughtful, and creative. Sagittarius strive in an independent setting, with the idea of freedom and positively motivating them always. 

Air signs

The air signs are the signs that are known for their effective communication and their liberating vibes. Air signs are curious, and always questioning important topics, yet they provide a breath of fresh air to anyone who meets them. 

Gemini (May 21- June 20): Geminis are known for their ability to communicate, and they are critical thinkers. They are very curious, and are able to be playful yet thoughtful.

Libra (September 23- October 22): Libras are known for their strong sense of balance, and their genuine honesty. They are able to successfully communicate harsh subjects, whilst still maintaining great social connections.

Aquarius (January 20- February 18): Aquarius are the signs that are most independent, and assertive. They are able to effectively solve problems, and provide you with their truthful opinions. 

Planets  

Each planet rules a different aspect of your life, including the sun and moon. Read the following for a list of each planet and simple terms that resonate with the meaning they have in your life!

• The Sun: the luminary of life and self
  • The Moon: the luminary of emotions
  • Mercury: the planet of the mind
  • Venus: the planet of beauty
  • Mars: the planet of action
  • Jupiter: the planet of expansion
  • Saturn: the planet of structure
  • Uranus: the planet of revolution
  • Neptune: the planet of magic
  • Pluto: the planet of rebirth

Overall, astrology is much more than stars and planets, and can have such a deep impact on your life. It can lead to self-discovery and growing a deeper connection with your surroundings.  

If you are interested in learning more about your birth chart, or your personalized horoscope, below will be reliable websites that you can refer to, to learn more! Don’t forget to tune in to the Trailblazer’s monthly horoscopes to dive into your specific zodiac predictions!

Sources:

https://cafeastrology.com/

https://www.costarastrology.com/

https://www.astrology.com/us/home.aspx