Reporting with Hills Pride

The Trailblazer

Reporting with Hills Pride

The Trailblazer

Reporting with Hills Pride

The Trailblazer

Do Hills students have plans on March 17?

Pascack Hills students have varied views on St. Patrick’s Day. While many celebrate with parades and family traditions, some see it as just another day.
Thomas+Samouhos
Thomas Samouhos

With St. Patrick’s Day around the corner, there is a lot of talk about everyone’s plans to celebrate the occasion. Irish or not, many people express their love for this holiday due to either their family traditions or through their friendly celebrations. That being said, there are also many people who treat St. Patty’s Day as a regular old day, with no special characteristics.

According to a survey sent out to the Pascack Hills High School student body, there are mixed feelings about the holiday. Over half of the responders said that they treat St. Patrick’s Day as a holiday and celebrate it with love every year. Some had a difference in opinion and voted that it was just another Sunday in their eyes.

Next, they were asked about the plans for March 17. The majority of responders replied that they go to parades hosted by the towns in honor of the lucky day. Others replied that they spend time with their family and friends. Then, a smaller portion of the students responded that they do nothing.

Students were also asked about family traditions and if they had changed throughout the years. 40% of students answered that it hadn’t changed and 60% answered that it had changed. This ranged from waking up to a green toilet to seeing tiny green footsteps throughout your house, from seeing that your leprechaun trap had failed to hanging out with friends or family either at the parade or a little get-together.

A majority of the students are attending the parade on March 17 to dance around to the Irish Jig and to celebrate the happiness and luck of this special day. 

In short, Pascack Hills students have varied views on St. Patrick’s Day. While many celebrate with parades and family traditions, some see it as just another day. The results of the survey reflect the diverse ways students approach this festive occasion.