Reporting with Hills Pride

The Trailblazer

Reporting with Hills Pride

The Trailblazer

Reporting with Hills Pride

The Trailblazer

A tribute to ‘Friends’ star Matthew Perry

Actor Matthew Perry, who is mainly known for his role on “Friends” as Chandler Bing, passed away on Oct. 28 at 54 years old.
Licensed by Creative Commons

Actor Matthew Perry, who is mainly known for his role on “Friends” as Chandler Bing, passed away on Oct. 28 at 54 years old. Perry was loved by many, and his co-stars, including Jenifer Aniston, Courtney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt Leblanc and David Schwimmer, all sent out a joint statement stating: “We were all so utterly devastated by the loss of Matthew. We were more than just cast mates. We are a family.” Many people were deeply saddened and affected by his loss.

Several news outlets say that Perry was found unresponsive in a hot tub at his home in Los Angeles. Perry struggled with drinking and drugs his whole life, which led to him constantly being in rehabilitation and treatment centers. 

Perry starred in the hit sitcom “Friends” from 1994-2004 as Chandler Bing, and he was even nominated for an Emmy for his role. He was also nominated for Outstanding Lead Actor in 2002. These nominations are just some of his many accomplishments throughout his lifetime.

“Friends” is one of the most watched shows of all time, and people from all over the world were impacted by the loss of Perry. Pascack Hills junior Jamie Costantino spoke about how the loss of Perry affected her.

“I really liked Perry in ‘Friends’ and I think it’s sad that he has died because it shows us that time is passing,” she said.

The death of Perry is affecting many students at Hills emotionally due to the fact he has been a constant figure in so many people’s daily lives. 

On Sunday, Oct. 29, “Friends” co-creators Marta Kauffman and David Crane and executive producer Kevin Bright released a joint statement to CNN, stating their grief for the star:

“We will always cherish the joy, the light, the blinding intelligence he brought to every moment – not just to his work, but in life as well. He was always the funniest person in the room. More than that, he was the sweetest, with a giving and selfless heart…This truly is The One Where Our Hearts Are Broken.”

Many people who were close to him are mourning his loss heavily, including a big name in the Hollywood world, Salma Hayek, who starred in the film “Fools Rush In” alongside Perry. Hayek released a statement following his passing:

“Two days ago, I woke up to the shocking news that Matthew Perry is no longer with us. It’s taken me a couple of days to process this profound sadness,” it read.

The cast of “Friends” is like a family, and to see the loss of Matthew Perry has been saddening to all. Perry’s character and his soul are one that no one will forget, and Chandler will live on in their memories.