Reporting with Hills Pride

The Trailblazer

Reporting with Hills Pride

The Trailblazer

Reporting with Hills Pride

The Trailblazer

Paul Hildum wins Pascack Hills Support Staff Member of the Year

In May, Paraprofessional Paul Hildum was recognized as this year’s Support Staff Member of the Year. 
From+left+to+right%3A+Pollinger%2C+Bilotti%2C+Hildum%2C+Wieland%2C+and+Piccini.+
@PVRHSD via X
From left to right: Pollinger, Bilotti, Hildum, Wieland, and Piccini.

Paul Hildum is a Paraprofessional at Pascack Hills High School. In May, he was recognized as this year’s Support Staff Member of the Year. 

Hildum was in the cafeteria during the school-wide announcement. Hills Principal Tim Wieland, Assistant Principals Christine Pollinger and Derek Piccini, and Superintendent Sarah Bilotti congratulated him and gave him flowers. 

“I was very surprised,” he said.

Hildum was a One-to-One (1:1) Aid in River Dell for a few months before transferring to Pascack Hills, where he has worked for the last seven years. He has also pursued careers in technology and the seafood industry. 

Hildum described a typical day at Pascack Hills, although he claimed it varied greatly from day to day. He assists with morning and afternoon bus duty, provides hands-on and emotional support to students, and coordinates with different departments. 

“It’s important to be a good communicator where I am because I’m taking instruction from one department, it comes through me, and goes to another department or another student. Communication is vital for what we’re doing,” he said. 

He’s just a joy to work with. I think everyone agrees that he’s just a really positive influence on the kids and on his colleagues

— Assistant Principal Christine Pollinger

Hildum talked about some of his favorite and most memorable moments at Hills. They ranged from wrestling team events, holiday productions, and the annual white water rafting trip. 

“In a lot of ways, my memories are really specific to students…I love seeing students in a different context. In the building, I have my work face on, you have your student face on, but then when [you’re] outside the building for any other function, you see people in a different light. That’s a really cool part of the job,” he said. 

Hildum also discussed the recent passing of Hills senior Joe McNeice. 

“On a more somber note, the school’s reaction to the passing of Joe McNeice was touching…it was as touching as Joe himself was,” he said. 

In his free time, Hildum is a very dedicated single parent. He also enjoys playing music, specifically string instruments. 

Pollinger said that several staff members nominated Hildum for this honor. Dedicated, organized, hardworking, patient, and intelligent were among the words used to describe Hildum. 

Keep growing, keep moving forward, keep finding things that interest you

— Paraprofessional Paul Hildum

“I think he brings an interesting worldview to his job. He’s seen a lot and he’s done a lot in his life, and I think that really helps him be a very compassionate person,” she said. 

Pollinger commended Hildum for his “great stories” and “unique perspective.”

“He’s just a joy to work with. I think everyone agrees that he’s just a really positive influence on the kids and on his colleagues,” she said. 

The Support Staff Member of the Year ended with advice for those seeking a similar career. 

“Keep growing, keep moving forward, keep finding things that interest you,” he said.