Reporting with Hills Pride

The Trailblazer

Reporting with Hills Pride

The Trailblazer

Reporting with Hills Pride

The Trailblazer

Week in Bronco Sports: 9/26-9/30

Missed any of last week’s games? Check out this week in Broncos sports review.
Josh Baskin
The Bronco girls varsity soccer team after their Bergen Tournament win against Park Ridge in overtime.

Tuesday, Sept. 26

Girls Tennis at Pascack Valley – 3-2 Win

Girls tennis got a big win against Pascack Valley to start the week. It was highlighted by two great doubles performances. Sisters Stephanie and Rachael Yeung defeated Valley’s Alexa Ganz and Kristina Wegner 6-1 and 6-0. Marli Golden and Samantha Lazar defeated Sophia Levine and Sophia Loeser 6-2 and 6-3 as girls tennis moved up 4-2 on the year.

Volleyball at Indian Hills – 2-0 Win

Volleyball got a straight set win against Indian Hills with a 25-6 first set triumph and a 25-11 second set win. Elyssa Samani led the Broncos with nine kills.

Boys Soccer vs. Indian Hills – 2-0 Loss

Another loss for boys soccer came on Monday against Indian Hills with a final score of 2-0. The Broncos are now 2-5-1.

Girls Soccer at Indian Hills – 3-0 Win

Junior Abbey Roche scored the hat trick to defeat Indian Hills 3-0. Roche scored twice in the first half and once in the second. Girls soccer now has five wins.

Wednesday, Sept. 27

Volleyball vs. Ridgewood – 2-1 Win

Volleyball won again in three sets. Hills won the first set 25-21, lost the second set 25-22 and then defeated Ridgewood in the tiebreaker set 25-9. It was a team victory, with every player contributing their best to defeat the Maroons.

Girls Tennis vs. Paramus Catholic – 5-0 Win

Hills won every match against Paramus Catholic. Samantha Klein and Marissa Roth shut out their counterparts in both games of the second doubles match in the best performance for Hills.

Thursday, Sept. 28

Josh Baskin
The boys varsity soccer team during their game Monday night.

Boys Soccer at Dumont – 8-3 Win

Boys soccer got a crushing win over Dumont on Thursday. Michael Chelney, Ryan Lee, Andy Kim, and Fares Daraghmeh all got one goal, with Nick Frangiosa and Joseph Pietrunti scoring two.

Volleyball vs. Dumont – 2-0 Win

A quick win for Volleyball on Thursday over Dumont saw the Broncos win 25-15 in the first set and 25-12 in the second set. Gianna Juliano and Eva Myers led the Broncos with nine kills each.

Friday, Sept. 29

Volleyball at Glen Rock – 2-0 Win

Another big win for volleyball, and their tenth of the year, came against previously undefeated Glen Rock. The Broncos won the first set 25-12 and the second 25-22. Gianna Juliano had a great performance with seven kills and six blocks.

Football vs. Dover – 17-14 Win

The rain seems to bring great games to Pascack Hills. Three weeks ago, it was a one-point win over Teaneck, and on Friday night, the Broncos got an overtime win over Dover. It was a quiet first quarter, but early in the second quarter, a long run from Dover’s Brandon Flynn was able to set up a push into the end zone for a touchdown. Halfway through the second quarter, it would be Flynn again on a 30-yard touchdown pass to put Dover 14-0 going to halftime. Another quiet third quarter would follow, but the Broncos had a nice drive to set up a Connor Ohnikian QB sneak for their first score. Dover went for the first down on fourth down and eight and lost around five yards to set up the Broncos at Dover’s 25-yard line. A good drive would set up another Ohnikian sneak to tie things up at fourteen. Devon Buonanno’s masterclass on defense with two interceptions would have this game go to overtime. Starting at the 25-yard line, Hills would gain minimal yardage, but Calen Aherne would again boot home a 38-yard field goal to put the Broncos in the lead for the first time in the game. Dover would also start at the 25-yard line but lose ten yards immediately from a holding penalty. On 1st and 15, they would lose another five yards on a Cole Brenniser tackle to bring up 2nd and 20. Dover would throw on second down and gain around ten yards to bring up third down and long. Another pass would be dropped to bring up a crucial 4th and 8. Dover would drop back to throw, and Josh Wright would get to the quarterback and take the ball out of his hands to win the game. A great victory for the Broncos puts them at 4-1 overall and 3-1 in the conference. Hills is away next week against Cliffside Park and back home the week after for senior night against Bergen Tech.

Saturday, Sept. 30

Girls Soccer vs. Park Ridge (Bergen Tournament Play-in Round) – 2-1 Win

Another overtime game had us spoiled on Saturday for Pascack Hills girls soccer. It was a quiet first half, but very early in the second half, senior Brooke Bonanno would score on a long shot to put Hills up 1-0. Halfway through the half, Park Ridge’s Shriya Vaidhyanathan would score an “Olympico”, a goal directly from a corner kick, to put things at 1-1. This would stay until the end of the half, and we would get overtime. Overtime is a very stressful thing in soccer, as the golden goal rule means that if anyone scores, the game is over. Through the first ten-minute period, no one scored, but halfway through the second overtime period, junior Emily Rennie would take a long, low shot that would get through for a Bronco goal and win. Hills plays Pascack Valley again on Thursday in the first round of the Bergen Tournament. The game will be at Pascack Valley.