Week in Bronco Sports: 10/2-10/7

Missed any of last week’s games? Check out this week in Broncos sports review.
Josh Baskin
Michael Chelney celebrating after a goal in Boys Soccer’s 3-0 win on Friday.

Monday, Oct. 2

Girls Tennis vs. River Dell – 5-0 Win

The Broncos won all of their matches Monday against River Dell. Olivia Ge and Samantha Lazar had the best performance, only letting their opponents score one game win in the first set.

Volleyball at Ramsey – 2-0 Win

Volleyball was the only Hills team to defeat Ramsey on Monday. They did it with a 25-21 first set win and a 25-13 second set win. Lily Kelly and Elyssa Samani got six and five kills, respectively, in the straight-set win.

Boys Soccer vs. Ramsey – 2-0 Loss

Boys soccer had a 2-0 loss to Ramsey on Monday, giving them their sixth loss of the year. One goal was scored in the first half and one in the second.

Girls Soccer at Ramsey – 3-1 Loss

Girls soccer also had a loss to Ramsey. Emily Rennie scored the only goal for Hills in the first half, and she was assisted by Leila Murillo.

Wednesday, Oct. 4

Girls Tennis vs. Westwood – 3-2 Win

A close win for Girls Tennis on Wednesday gave them much needed momentum heading into their match against Dwight-Morrow in the state tournament. The singles match between Hills’ Jillian Fleishman and Westwood’s Lena Pissott went to a tiebreaker set with Fleishman getting the win.

Volleyball at Mahwah – 2-0 Win

On Wednesday, volleyball had another straight-set win over Mahwah. Hills won the first set 25-11 and 25-15 in the second set. Elyssa Samani and Gianna Juliano both had a match leading seven kills.

Thursday, Oct. 5

Girls Tennis vs. Dwight-Morrow (NJSIAA Tournament First Round) – 5-0 Win

Hills got a big win on Thursday in the state tournament over Dwight-Morrow. Girls tennis won every match, and three out of the five matches were shutouts. They will face rival Pascack Valley at home in the quarterfinals on October 10th.

Girls Soccer at Pascack Valley (Bergen Tournament First Round) – 2-1 Loss

There was a very controversial loss for Hills on Thursday in which a goal from Brooke Bonanno did not get called as a goal with two minutes to go. Late in the first half, Valley scored, but Kate Sneath tied it back up early in the second half. Valley scored again halfway through the second half to give them the 2-1 win.

Friday, Oct. 6

Boys Soccer vs. Palisades Park (Bergen County Invitational) – 3-0 Win

Boys soccer got their third win of the year against Palisades Park on Friday. Michael Chelney scored twice in the first half, and Nick Frangiosa added one late in the second half.

Football at Cliffside Park – 26-7 Win

Hills football got their fifth win on Friday with a dominant rushing attack. Jordan Morrell scored twice, with Cole Brenniser adding the third touchdown on the ground for Hills. Connor Ohnikian found Jake Polsky for the lone receiving touchdown of the game. Football is home for the last time in the regular season this Friday against Bergen Tech. Show up and support the seniors on their appreciation night.

Saturday, Oct. 7

Volleyball vs. Lyndhurst (Bergen Tournament First Round) – 2-0 Win

Another straight-set win for the girls, this time in the Bergen Tournament, saw them defeat Lyndhurst at Old Tappan, which is where all of the county Volleyball tournament games are held. Hills won the first set 25-17 and the second 25-15. Gianna Juliano led the Broncos with 10 kills. Hills is set to play Old Tappan in the county quarterfinals on October 14.