Week in Bronco Sports: 1/14-1/20

Missed any of last week’s games? Check out this week in Broncos sports review.
Josh Baskin
Ben Stahl puts up a three-pointer in Pascack Hills’ win over Fort Lee.

Sunday, Jan. 14

Ice Hockey at River Dell – 4-0 Loss

Pascack Hockey dropped to 4-5 with a shutout loss to 5-5 River Dell. Brenden O’Callaghan let up four goals but still made 11 saves in his third start of the year.

Tuesday, Jan. 16

Boys Bowling at Bergenfield – 7-0 Win

Joe McNeice bowled a 194 average over three games to give Pascack Hills boys bowling a shutout win over 4-6 Bergenfield. Boys bowling improved to 5-3.

Girls Bowling vs. Bergenfield – 5-2 Win

Girls bowling improved to 5-2 with a win over 2-8 Bergenfield. Bergenfield won the first of three games, but Hills, led by two games over 150 by Giulia DiSalvo, came back to win the match.

Boys Basketball at Westwood – 60-54 Loss

Boys basketball had their first divisional loss since January 4 against Westwood on Tuesday. Nick Lukmann and David Weidmuller both scored 21 points, but an 18-7 second quarter led Westwood to victory. Westwood, Pascack Hills, and River Dell are all 3-2 in the Big North Patriot Division now, with Pascack Hills sitting in fourth place due to having the worst overall record of the three at 4-6.

Girls Basketball vs. Westwood – 60-27 Loss

Pascack Hills lost their tenth straight game against Westwood on Tuesday. This puts girls basketball at 1-12 overall and 0-5 in the Big North Patriot Division.

Ice Hockey vs. Mahwah – 4-0 Win

Pascack Hockey bounced back with a shutout win of their own against divisional opponents Mahwah to return to an even record at 5-5. Owen Dargan scored two goals, one on the power play, while the team nearly doubled Mahwah’s shots on goal.

Josh Baskin
Senior David Weidmuller inbounds against Westwood.

Wednesday, Jan. 17

Boys Bowling vs. Eastern Christian – 7-0 Win

Boys bowling scored their second win in two days with another shutout over 8-2 Eastern Christian. Jason Sorrentino and Michael Chelney both bowled 203.33 averages over three games as the team improved to 6-3. 

Girls Bowling vs. Eastern Christian – 7-0 Loss

2-2 Eastern Christian ended a three-match Pascack Hills girls bowling winning streak with a shutout win over the Broncos. Hills now drops to 5-3. The Broncos still have a chance to host a state tournament match, but they would need Lakeland to lose in the next two weeks for that to happen.

Wrestling at Paramus – 40-30 Loss

A four-match winning streak was not enough for Pascack Hills to defeat Paramus on Wednesday. While a quick pin from Tyler Duffy, a forfeit for undefeated Jake Wacha, and a five-minute pin from Dillon Cahill were the only matches to give the Broncos six match points, every single win for Paramus was a pin except for one, a major decision in the 120-pound class. Pascack Hills is now 6-6, with the Bergen County Tournament next on the calendar for Saturday and Sunday. In terms of the state tournament, Bronco wrestling can be considered a lock right now as they sit 42 points above the cutoff with one week to go until games do not count towards state tournament qualification. It seems unlikely that Hills will host a tournament match.

Girls Swimming at Lakeland – 127-43 Win

Girls swimming continued their stellar undefeated season with a crushing win over Lakeland. Amanda Bramley, Jessica Malocha, and Rianna Kirkorian all had two individual wins. Pascack girls swimming also received the number three ranking in northjersey.com’s top 10.

Boys Swimming at Lakeland – 108-53 Win

Boys swimming also had a crushing Lakeland win as they improved to 4-3. Two wins from Brian Yang and Harry Fominykh helped set the team apart from Lakeland quickly.

Thursday, Jan. 18

Boys Bowling vs. Westwood – 5-2 Win

Westwood won the first game, but a 233 average in the last two games from Jason Sorrentino led the Broncos to their fifth straight win. Pascack Hills looks to be a lock for the state tournament, and, as things stand right now, they would host Pascack Valley in a first-round state tournament game. There are still two weeks until the cutoff, but that would be an amazing matchup.

Girls Basketball at Fort Lee – 33-25 Win

Fort Lee dropped to 6-9 while nine points from both Brianna Arendacs and McKenna Ferrall gave Hills their second win of the season.

Boys Basketball vs. Fort Lee – 65-33 Win

Boys basketball scored their first home program sweep of the season over Fort Lee, as the freshman, JV, and varsity teams all won by considerable margins over the Bridgemen. Nick Lukmann scored 18 to lead the Broncos to their 5-6 record. In terms of the state tournament, with still two weeks to play until the cutoff, Pascack Hills sits 14th out of the 16 teams that qualify. They have a little breathing room but not a lot, as they only sit 48 points over the 17th-placed team, Sussex Tech.

Saturday, Jan. 20

Ice Hockey at Paramus – 6-0 Win

Pascack Hockey had 63 shots on goal compared to Paramus’ three. Austin Groves, Jack Sheehan, Owen Dargan, and Patrick Haworth converted six of those 63 into goals. Sheehan and Dargan both scored two as Pascack Hockey improved to 6-5 overall and 3-1 in the Big North Freedom Division. Pascack Hockey is looking good when it comes to qualifying for the state tournament. With two weeks to play, they are 40 points above the cutoff.