Week in Bronco Sports: 1/21-1/27

Missed any of last week’s games? Check out this week in Broncos sports review.
Josh Baskin
David Weidmuller’s 21 points helped the Broncos defeat Indian Hills at last Tuesday’s boys basketball game.

Sunday, Jan. 21

Wrestling at the Bergen County Coaches Tournament

Hassan Shawkat and Jake Wacha scored fifth-place finishes in the 106 lb and 150 lb classes, respectively. Tyler Duffy made it to the fifth-place final but was pinned by Mason Marck of Bergen Catholic in the 215 lb class.

Ice Hockey vs. Montclair (at Prudential Center) – 4-1 Loss

Jack Sheehan scored the lone goal for Pascack Hockey in their 4-1 loss to Montclair at the home of the NHL’s New Jersey Devils. Zach Groves had the assist as the team dropped to 6-6.

Tuesday, Jan. 23

Wrestling at Vernon – 54-21 Win

In the first leg of a tri-match, Pascack Hills wrestling defeated Vernon. Five straight wins in the middle of the match, including two pins and two forfeits, helped the Broncos pull away from Vernon to get the win.

Wrestling vs. Hackettstown – 45-30 Loss

Wrestling was unable to defeat Hackettstown in the second leg of the tri-match on Tuesday. Three pins from Reid McKinney, Jake Wacha, and Tyler Duffy were the Bronco highlights of a dominant Tiger win.

Boys Bowling at Ramsey – 7-0 Win

Michael Chelney bowled a 200 average over three games to help boys bowling defeat Ramsey. The Broncos improved to 8-3, while Ramsey fell to 0-10.

Girls Bowling vs. Ramsey – 7-0 Win

Girls bowling did the same as their male counterparts, with Hadyn Hopper again leading the way. The Broncos improved to 6-4.

Girls Basketball at Indian Hills – 44-38 Win

A 17-point performance from Brianna Arendacs helped the Broncos defeat Indian Hills. Pascack Hills girls basketball improved to 3-12 with the win and got on a winning streak.

Boys Basketball vs. Indian Hills – 62-40 Win

Pascack Hills boys basketball completed a season sweep against Indian Hills with a win on Tuesday. David Weidmuller scored 21 points, and Nick Lukmann scored 13 to get the Broncos back to a .500 record.

Wednesday, Jan. 24

Boys Bowling vs. Indian Hills – 7-0 Loss

The Broncos bowled well, but it was not enough to defeat the Indian Hills Braves in any game. Indian Hills improved to 11-0, while the Broncos fell to 8-4.

Girls Bowling vs. Indian Hills – 7-0 Loss

9-2 Indian Hills got a shutout win over the now 6-4 Broncos on Wednesday.

Thursday, Jan. 25

Girls Basketball at Hasbrouck Heights (Bergen County Invitational, Preliminary Round) – 53-28 Loss

The win streak ended for girls basketball with a county tournament loss to 12-4 Hasbrouck Heights. The Aviators were dominant throughout.

Boys Basketball vs. Becton (Bergen County Invitational, Preliminary Round) – 79-65 Win

David Weidmuller’s 29-point performance was too much for the Becton Wildcats to handle in the preliminary round of the Bergen County Invitational Tournament. Nick Lukmann also scored 25 as the Broncos improved to 7-6. Hills would play against Lyndhurst on Saturday at Garfield High School in the first round of the BIT.

Ice Hockey vs. Northern Highlands – 6-2 Loss

Five unanswered goals for the Highlanders put them in front of the Pascack Hockey for the second time this year. Owen Dargan and Joe Maire scored two late goals, but it was not enough to defeat 15-3 Northern Highlands.

Friday, Jan. 26

Wrestling vs. Indian Hills – 42-30 Win

Wrestling bounced back to defeat Indian Hills on Friday. Indian Hills won most of the matches that were actually played, but five forfeits put the Broncos in front for good. Hills improved to 8-7 overall.

Saturday, Jan. 27

Girls Basketball at Weehawken – 37-29 Win

Girls basketball got their fourth win of the season over a pretty good Weehawken. Gianna Juliano and Kate Glass combined for 25 points in the win over the 9-8 Indians.

Boys Basketball at Lyndhurst (Bergen County Invitational, First Round) – 62-61 Win

At halftime, Pascack Hills pulled out to an 11-point lead, but Lyndhurst clawed to within one at the start of the fourth quarter. An incredibly high-scoring fourth followed, with both teams scoring 22 points, so the Broncos won by just one point. Hills will play this Saturday in the quarterfinals of the BIT against Cresskill, who the Broncos have already won against the season. The game will take place at Indian Hills High School.