Week in Bronco Sports: 2/11-2/17

Missed any of last week’s games? Check out this week in Broncos sports review.
@phathleticdirector on Instagram
Pascack Hills boys basketball celebrates winning the BIT Tournament.

Sunday, Feb. 11

Boys Basketball vs. Westwood (Bergen County Invitational, Semifinal) – 58-55 Win

Boys basketball continued their five-game winning streak with their second straight win over Westwood in the BIT Semifinal. Nick Lukmann led the Broncos with 19 points, and Ryan Lee added 18 in the win.

Josh Baskin
Nick Lukmann shoots from the foul line in the BIT Semifinal game.

Monday, Feb. 12

Boys Bowling vs. St. Joseph (Mont.) (NJSIAA Tournament, First Round) – 2-1 Win

Boys bowling defeated St. Joe’s in the first round of the state tournament. Hills senior Michael Chelney bowled an average of 225, with a high game of 244, as he led the Broncos to victory.

Boys Basketball at Pascack Valley – 59-38 Loss

Boys basketball lost their momentum in a huge loss at Pascack Valley. Their five-game winning streak was destroyed. They have two huge games coming up, including the BIT Final this Saturday.

Girls Swimming at Ridgewood (NJSIAA Tournament, Semifinal) – 104-66 Loss

Girls swimming finished their undefeated season with a loss at Ridgewood in the state tournament. Although the result is not what they wanted, Pascack Swimming will take solace in the fact that they had their third undefeated season, won the Big North Liberty Division, and gave Coach Shawn Buchanan his 100th victory.

Tuesday, Feb. 13

Girls Bowling at Lakeland (NJSIAA Tournament, Quarterfinal) – 2-0 Loss

Girls bowling finished their season with a loss at Lakeland. Pascack Hills finished the season on a four-game losing streak and placed third in the Big North Patriot Division.

Girls Basketball vs. Cliffside Park – 36-24 Win

Girls basketball equaled their win total from last season with their fifth win of the season against Cliffside Park on Wednesday. McKenna Ferrall scored 12 points, and Gianna Juliano added 11.

Boys Basketball at Cliffside Park – 57-53 Loss

The combined 30 points of David Weidmuller and Nick Lukmann were not enough to get the Broncos back into the win column as they lost a close one at Cliffside Park. 

Ice Hockey at Ramapo (Big North Gold Cup, Semifinal) – 4-2 Win

Zach Groves had two goals, including one on the power play as the Pascack Hockey Team defeated Ramapo in the Big North Semifinals. Owen Dargan and Christian Grubic added goals in the middle of the game. Yulianna Krol had 25 saves and only allowed two goals.

Thursday, Feb. 14

Girls Basketball vs. Ridgefield Park – 39-33 Win

In her final game as a Bronco, Brianna Arendacs more than doubled the next closest Bronco point scorer with 20 points. Arendacs’s performance gave the Broncos their sixth win as she and five other seniors ended their basketball careers at Pascack Hills.

Friday, Feb. 15

Boys Bowling at Demarest (NJSIAA Tournament, Quarterfinal) – 2-0 Loss

Pascack Hills boys bowling ended their season with a loss at second-ranked Demarest. The Broncos finished 10-6 and fourth in the Big North Patriot Division.

Ice Hockey at Passaic Tech (Big North Gold Cup, Final) – 5-1 Loss

After upsetting Northern Highlands and Ramapo, the Pascack Hockey Team looked to have momentum on their side as they took on 11-11 Passaic Tech. Unfortunately, the team lost all of its momentum and only scored a single goal. They now have to wait for Monday to take on Whippany Park in the first round of the state tournament.

Saturday, Feb. 16

Boys Basketball vs. Dwight-Morrow (Bergen County Invitational, Final) – 72-68 Win

The Broncos won the Bergen County Invitational Championship. Nick Lukmann scored 27 points and was voted game MVP, while Austin Ellman added 22. Both of those are personal-best point totals for the two seniors. The Broncos rebounded after a tough week and now look forward to Wednesday night, when they will take on Pompton Lakes in the first round of the state tournament.

Wrestling at the District 3 Tournament

The giant mess of figuring out who will qualify for the individual wrestling state tournament began for Pascack Hills on Saturday. The top three in each weight class advance to the regional tournament, which will happen next Friday and Saturday, and the top four in that tournament will move to the state tournament at the end of the month in Atlantic City. Three Broncos wrestlers made the final round at districts this year. Jake Wacha won the 150-pound class with a technical fall over George Hamilton of Pascack Valley, and Sean Herman won the 157-pound class over Casey Farrell of Seton Hall in a 4-3 decision. Hassan Shawkat had a very good performance in his 106-pound class. He qualified for the state tournament with a second place finish. Wacha, Herman, and Shawkat are the Broncos only hopes for state glory heading to the regional tournament.