Week in Bronco Sports: 4/1-4/6

Missed any of last week’s games? Check out this week in Broncos sports review.
Josh Baskin
Brendan Singleton warming up before scoring his first varsity win against Park Ridge.

Monday, Apr. 1

Baseball at Indian Hills – 7-2 Win

There is excitement and expectation for the Bronco baseball season. Pascack Hills is coming off a division and state championship and began the title defense with a decisive win over divisional opponent Indian Hills on Monday. Richmond commit Joe Giordano started the game, but Andrew Streim pitched the most. Anthony Blackford came in to close the game. At the plate, Kyle Wenckus went 3-4 with two doubles in the 7-2 win.

Tuesday, Apr. 2

Boys Lacrosse vs. Dwight-Englewood – 9-7 Loss

Boys lacrosse was the only team to play on a rainy Tuesday. They are also coming off a league championship, but head coach Dave Bucco retired to focus on wrestling. Coach John Esposito took his place, and his debut was a tough loss to divisional opponent Dwight-Englewood. CJ Driver is still the star of this Bronco team after two outstanding varsity years, and he scored four goals for Hills. Senior Ryan Davis added two, and sophomore Logan Nassau put one in the back of the net. Brendan Singleton served as the netminder and recorded a loss in his first varsity start.

Wednesday, Apr. 3

Girls Lacrosse at Old Tappan – 12-0 Loss

Girls lacrosse suffered a loss in their first game of the season at Old Tappan. They will look to rebound with two home games this week.

Thursday, Apr. 4

Boys Tennis vs. Mahwah – 3-2 Win

After weather delays, boys tennis finally got their season underway with a win over Mahwah. Sam Fruitbine got the only singles win for the Broncos. Jake Polsky and Ari Hirshfield and Noah Arum and Abinav Gowthaman won both doubles matches.

Softball vs. Ridgefield Park – 16-0 Loss

Softball started their season with a loss at Ridgefield Park. The Scarlets improved their record to 4-1 while the Broncos dropped to 0-1.

Boys Lacrosse vs. Park Ridge – 14-0 Win

Ryan Davis scored five goals as the Broncos got a huge win over Park Ridge on Thursday. CJ Driver scored two while the majority of the other Bronco players had a goal involvement. Brendan Singleton scored his first varsity win and came off in the late stages for Logan Litt. The Broncos improve to 1-1 overall and in the NJILL Cullen Division.

Friday, Apr. 5

Boys Golf at St. Joseph (Mont.) – 190-171 Loss

St. Joseph had the top five scores with Darren Coyle scoring six over par at Orchard Hills on Friday to defeat Pascack Hills boys golf in the Broncos first match of the season.

Softball vs. Indian Hills – 19-0 Loss

Another crushing loss for softball came to undefeated divisional opponents Indian Hills on Friday. The Broncos dropped to 0-2.

Baseball vs. Wayne Valley – 9-5 Win

Andrew Streim scored his first varsity win after relieving Arion Stern in the fifth inning as the Broncos improved to 2-0 with a 9-5 win over Wayne Valley. Shortstop Matt Tortora went 4-4 from the plate with two doubles and three RBI.

Girls Lacrosse at Millburn – 15-7 Loss

Girls lacrosse dropped to 0-2 with a 15-7 loss at Millburn on Friday. Maggie Tratnyek and Meadow Motroni scored four goals each for Millburn.

Saturday, Apr. 6

Boys Tennis at Livingston (Lancer Showdown, Semifinal Round) – 3-2 Loss

The Broncos had a close loss to Livingston in the Lancer Showdown tournament on Saturday. Connor Wong won the only singles match for Hills while Jake Polsky and Ari Hirshfield won the only doubles match for the Broncos.

Boys Lacrosse vs. Demarest – 9-8 Loss (OT)

A tough overtime loss dropped boys lacrosse to 1-2 on Saturday. Demarest improved to 1-1 with three goals from Markus White leading the Norsemen.

Baseball vs. Dwight-Englewood (Tom Kaechele Classic) – 3-1 Loss

Two good varsity debuts from Eddie Mulligan and Joe Napolitano were not enough to save the Broncos from losing their first game to Dwight-Englewood on Saturday. Arion Stern scored the only RBI for Hills and went 1-4 at the plate. Kyle Wenckus once again led the Broncos in hitting, going 2-3.