Reporting with Hills Pride

The Trailblazer

Reporting with Hills Pride

The Trailblazer

Reporting with Hills Pride

The Trailblazer

Week in Bronco Sports: 4/14-4/20

Missed any of last week’s games? Check out this week in Broncos sports review.
Josh Baskin
Boys lacrosse before taking the field against Wayne Hills on Tuesday.

Monday, Apr. 15

Baseball vs. Westwood – 10-9 Win

An incredible baseball game took place at Pascack Hills this past Monday. The Broncos took on previously undefeated Westwood. Starter Joe Giordano gave up a grand slam in the first inning, but the Broncos responded with eight unanswered runs through the fifth inning. Westwood would score another four in the sixth to tie things up, but the Broncos roared back to take a one-run lead heading into the seventh. Westwood tied things up with a run off reliever Anthony Blackford. It would come down to Blackford in the bottom of the seventh. Game tied, 2 out, and Andrew Streim on second base. Blackford would hit to the wall in center field and bring home Streim to hand Westwood their first loss of the season.

Softball vs. Mahwah – 12-0 Win

Softball needed just five innings to get their second win of the season over winless Mahwah. Taylor Pawlyk had a complete game shutout win. Marli Golden, Hannah Brinkman, and Lily Kelly all got on base on every attempt. Brinkman led the Broncos at the plate, going four for four with a double.

Boys Tennis at Northern Highlands – 4-1 Loss

Boys tennis was the only loss for Hills on Monday. The Broncos lost to an undefeated Northern Highlands team, with Sam Fruitbine winning the only match of the day.

Girls Lacrosse at Demarest – 10-5 Win

Brooke Bonanno had her first career hat trick as Pascack Hills defeated Demarest 10-5 to stay at an even 3-3 record. Bonanno was joined by Nikki Giammanco and Astrid Velozo with two goals each. Savanna Bell scored her third win of the season between the pipes.

Tuesday, Apr. 16

Boys Tennis vs. Indian Hills – 5-0 Win

Every match was won against a winless Indian Hills team for Pascack Hills Boys Tennis on Tuesday. Hills improved to 3-2 and is still undefeated in the Big North Patriot Division.

Boys Lacrosse at Wayne Hills – 7-6 Win

Ryan Davis led the Broncos to victory against Wayne Hills in overtime with a hat trick. C.J. Driver, Justin Diamond, Zach Groves, and Michael Weaver all added goals. Hills improved to 4-2.

Boys Golf vs. Old Tappan – 196-160 Loss

No one for Hills scored in the top six against Old Tappan as boys golf continues to stay winless through four games.

Wednesday, Apr. 17

Boys Golf vs. Pascack Valley – 190-189 Loss

Yet another loss for boys golf came against Pascack Valley, but this one was a little closer. Still, no Broncos scored in the top six of the match.

Baseball at Westwood – 9-8 Loss

After a walk off win at home, Pascack Hills baseball traveled to Westwood where the Cardinals got their revenge. This one took nine innings, two more than in regulation. Ari Stern started for the Broncos but was relieved by four pitchers. Hills took their second division loss as Westwood improved to 10-1.

Softball at Tenafly – 26-5 Win

Softball kept on a roll with a huge win at Tenafly. This one only lasted four innings. Lily Kelly and Taylor Pawlyk starred on the mound, with Pawlyk awarded the win. Once again, Hannah Brinkman and Kelly got on base at every opportunity, and they were joined by Christine Diaz in that department. Softball is now 3-4 overall.

Girls Lacrosse at Wayne Valley – 8-6 Loss

This time it was Nikki Giammanco with a hat trick, her third of the season, but it was not enough to get the Broncos the win at Wayne Valley. Hills dropped to 3-4 overall.

Thursday, Apr. 18

Boys Lacrosse at Indian Hills – 11-4 Win

C.J. Driver’s four goals led the Broncos to a divisional win for Pascack Hills on Thursday. Zach Groves also added three. It was yet another win for Brendan Singleton. Boys lacrosse is now 5-2 overall.

Friday, Apr. 19

Girls Golf vs. Northern Highlands – 241-214 Loss

In their second match, girls golf lost to Northern Highlands. No Broncos were in the top five individual scores.

Baseball vs. Ramapo – 8-7 Loss

In a game with some implications for state and county rankings, Pascack Hills baseball lost a close one to Ramapo. Corey Ginsberg started for Pascack Hills, but Amresh Balakrishnan, one of the four relievers, was credited with the loss. Ramapo was down for most of the game, but they scored two runs in the top of the seventh which would prove to be the game winners.

Softball vs. Westwood – 14-13 Win

A three-win week for softball was capped off with an eight-inning battle against Westwood. Taylor Pawlyk pitched all eight innings. At the plate, it was Christina Reineke who led the Broncos. She went 3-4 with a double and two RBI. Hills is now 4-4 and 2-2 in the Big North Patriot Division.

Girls Lacrosse at Rutherford – 12-7 Loss

Rutherford defeated Pascack Hills on Friday, giving the Broncos their fifth loss of the season. Giammanco had her fourth hat trick of the season, but it was again not enough to give Hills the win.

Saturday, Apr. 20

Baseball at Fair Lawn – 5-4 Win

Ewan Colgan scored his first varsity win on the mound in his first start. He pitched about two innings before being relieved by Joe Napolitano and, later, Emerson Cho. At the plate, Andrew Streim led Hills with two RBI and a double. Hills is back to an even record with five wins and five losses.