Week in Bronco Sports: 4/29-5/4

Missed any of last week’s games? Check out this week in Broncos sports review.
Josh Baskin
Michael Weaver added four goals in boys lacrosse’s win over Rutherford.

Monday, Apr. 29

Girls Golf at Holy Angels – 154-212 Loss

Holy Angels is undefeated and ranked number one in the state of New Jersey. They made easy work of the Pascack Hills girls golf team who have only played five matches in their history. Holy Angels took the entire top six with Inha Jun shooting par at 36 through nine holes.

Baseball vs. River Dell – 12-2 Win

If Pascack Hills Baseball wants to repeat as Big North Patriot Division champions, they need to win every game and get lucky. Hills started on that run with a huge win over River Dell on Monday. Ari Stern only had to throw 46 pitches in three innings on the mound with Ewan Colgan and D’Angelo Rodriguez finishing things out in just four and a half innings. At the plate, Andrew Streim led the Broncos going 2 for 3 with a double and 2 RBI. 

Boys Lacrosse vs. Rutherford – 16-5 Win

Boys lacrosse is in the same situation as baseball. They were NJILL Cullen Division champions last year but need all the help they can get to repeat under new head coach John Esposito. They got some help with a big win over Rutherford. CJ Driver continues his beautiful form with five goals with Michael Weaver adding four. Brendan Singleton was credited with the win, but John Rothschild came in to finish the game.

Tuesday, Apr. 30

Baseball at Bergenfield – 6-1 Win

This win for baseball does not help in their chase to repeat as division champs, but rather helps to secure better seeding for the state tournament. Andrew Streim started but was relieved after about an inning for Anthony Blackford, who got two solid innings before being replaced by Joe Napolitano, who would be credited with the win. Manning the offense would be Blackford, going three for four with an RBI.

Boys Tennis at Ramsey – 5-0 Win

The best spring team at Pascack Hills continues on a roll, as boys tennis stayed undefeated in division and beat Ramsey in every match. Connor Wong had a singles win and Sam Brief and Abinav Gowthaman had a doubles win.

Girls Lacrosse vs. Mary Help of Christians – 13-2 Win

Four goals for Astrid Velozo propelled the Broncos past Mary Help of Christians and their four-game losing streak. Four goals was Velozo’s career high in goals scored in a single game. The sophomore’s goal scoring also helped sophomore goaltender Asiya Crandall to her second career win.

Wednesday, May 1

Baseball at River Dell – 13-10 Win

Baseball traveled to River Dell on Wednesday and won a shootout over the Hawks. Six different pitchers were on the mound for the Broncos. Corey Ginsberg pitched the most, but Anthony Blackford was awarded the win. Two doubles from Matt Tortora, who went three for six with two RBIs, led the Broncos at the plate.

Softball at Fort Lee – 6-5 Loss

Softball took a close loss at Fort Lee to drop to 4-9 and lose their fifth straight. 

Boys Tennis at Old Tappan – 3-2 Loss

This match was set to be a clash of titans in the boys tennis scene. Two teams in the same section and group for the state tournament, both with eyes on division championships. Old Tappan was ranked number one in Group 2, with Pascack Hills ranked eighth. Hills had two singles wins from Sam Fruitbine and Edward Shanoyan, but ended up losing both doubles matches to lose the match 3-2. Old Tappan still has a single loss on the year and is 10-1.

Thursday, May 2

Girls Golf at Holy Angels – 163-213 Loss

It was about the same situation as Monday for girls golf. Same course, same opponent, same result. No Broncos were in the top six individually once again. No AHA players finished at par or under, with the top finisher shooting two over par.

Girls Lacrosse vs. Holy Angels – 10-9 Loss

Girls lacrosse also had a game against Holy Angels. The Angels got their first win over the Broncos in girls lacrosse since 2016. Nikki Giammanco had four goals in a game that was exciting and filled with penalty shots. Asiya Crandall took her first loss of the season as Hills dropped to 4-8.

Friday, May 3

Boys Golf at the Big North Conference Tournament

As a team, boys golf is 1-6, but at the conference tournament on Friday, they finished an incredible twelfth of 24 teams with an average of 364. The top individual performer was senior Dylan Sawyer, finishing in a tie for 35th at 12 over par. Austin Groves finished in a tie for 50th at 17 over par.

Baseball vs. Cliffside Park – 9-4 Win

Baseball got a big win in what seemed to be a warm-up game for the county tournament on Saturday. Ewan Colgan started on the bump and got the win after pitching five innings. Sophomore Kyle Marques made his first varsity appearance and finished the game in 45 pitches. Kyle Wenckus continued his great form at the plate, going three for three while driving three runs in. Marques also got a hit in his only at bat of the game. 

Softball vs. River Dell – 10-0 Loss

Softball took another loss against a tough River Dell team after six innings. They dropped to 4-10 and 2-5 in the division while River Dell moved up to 14-6 on the season.

Boys Lacrosse at Fair Lawn (Bergen Invitational Tournament) – 9-1 Win

In the county tournament, the confidence of a previously undefeated Fair Lawn team was shattered by Pascack Hills. Ryan Davis scored four goals and his 100th career point against the Cutters. Brendan Singleton only needed seven saves to secure the win in a great performance from Hills.

Saturday, May 4

#12 Baseball vs. #21 Paramus (Bergen County Tournament) – 6-4 Win

Andrew Streim pitched four innings and made some noise with a huge grand slam in the third to give Hills a lead that they would ride to a win. Ari Stern was credited with the win. The Broncos will travel to Glen Rock on Wednesday for the first proper round of the tournament, and the PH Athletics YouTube Channel will have a full game replay on Thursday morning.