Week in Bronco Sports: 5/6-5/11

Missed any of last week’s games? Check out this week in Broncos sports review.
Zach+Groves+continues+his+lacrosse+senior+season+for+Pascack+Hills+against+Cedar+Grove.+
Josh Baskin
Zach Groves continues his lacrosse senior season for Pascack Hills against Cedar Grove.

Monday, May 6

Girls Golf at the NJSIAA North Sectional Tournament

Alanna Karuru finished in the top half of the 57 golfer tournament in 28th position. Pascack Hills shot a 453 as a team to finish 11th out of 12 schools in the girls golf’s first-ever state tournament. 

Boys Tennis vs. Don Bosco Prep – 3-2 Loss

Boys tennis started what would be a down week with a loss to Don Bosco. Sam Fruitbine scored the only win for Hills in the singles matches while Abinav Gowthaman and Noah Arum had the only doubles win.

Baseball at Fort Lee – 3-1 Win

This game meant little compared to the next two for baseball, but a win still helped the Broncos move up in the state tournament rankings. Anthony Blackford and Ronin Stern split around 20 pitches in the first inning before Eddie Mulligan came out of the dugout to finish the game. Jake Lulla and Andrew Streim both went 2-3 at the plate, with Streim adding a double.

Softball at Paramus – 12-7 Loss

At Paramus, softball lost their third straight game to the 6-14 Spartans. Hills has little chance of making the state tournament after this result.

Tuesday, May 7

Baseball vs. Indian Hills – 6-2 Win

This game would decide who would take a share of the Big North Patriot Division championship. Westwood, Indian Hills, Ramsey, and Pascack Hills all came into May 7 with a 6-3 division record. Two would walk out with a crown. 

Hills took on Indian Hills at home in a makeup game from April 3rd. Joe Napolitano began the game while Andrew Streim and Ewan Colgan had considerable time as relievers. The top three in the batting order all went 3-4 as Kyle Wenckus, Joe Giordano, and Matthew Tortora all batted .750 in this one, and Wenckus and Tortora added doubles. Hills clinched a tie for the division crown with Ramsey, who defeated the early season division favorites Westwood on Wednesday.

Boys Tennis at River Dell – 4-1 Win

Tennis rebounded after a close loss to Don Bosco, staying undefeated in the Big North Patriot Division. Both doubles matches were won by Jake Polsky and Ari Hirshfield’s team and the Noah Arum and Abinav Gowthaman group. Sam Fruitbine and Eddie Shanoyan both won their singles matches.

Boys Lacrosse at Ramsey – 15-3 Loss

Three goalies played for Hills as they tried to mitigate the scoring onslaught of the Rams. Brendan Singleton was awarded the loss. Dylan Freitag, Zach Groves, and Christian Gesuele all added a goal, but it was not close enough.

Wednesday, May 8

Boys Golf at the Big North Patriot Division Tournament

Hills finished just one shot behind Mahwah and finished last of the five-team group on Wednesday. That may do it for boys golf this season, and they finish with a 1-6 record.

Softball at Holy Angels – 8-7 Win

It would be a close win for Hills at AHA on Wednesday. Taylor Pawlyk pitched every inning of the game and added four singles and a double from the plate. Christine Diaz would join Pawlyk in going 1.000 from the plate. She would hit three singles and a double of her own. Hills snapped their three-game losing streak and improved to 6-11.

Baseball at Glen Rock (Bergen County Tournament, Round of 16) – 7-5 Loss

Kyle Wenckus started the scoring with a three-run home run in the top of the second and Pascack Hills led until the sixth. Ari Stern started the game and pitched a good four innings. Andrew Streim finished the fifth, but in the sixth, he let up a three-run home run to give Glen Rock a lead they would not lose. Anthony Blackford came to finish the game but it did not matter, as Hills could not get anything to go in the seventh. 

Thursday, May 9

Softball at Glen Rock – 13-3 Loss

The momentum from Wednesday would not be carried into Glen Rock for softball. They lost their 12th game of the season to Glen Rock and were mercied after six innings.

Baseball at Dwight-Morrow – 22-2 Win

Five games was all that baseball needed against Dwight-Morrow. Possibly taking their anger from the Glen Rock loss out on the Englewood school, Hills won by 20 runs. Ewan Colgan had a five-inning complete game. Jake Szabo led Hills at the plate with a 3-3 performance. Ronin Stern had a three-run home run and a double to add to the scoring.

Boys Tennis vs. Dwight-Englewood – 3-2 Loss

It would again be Sam Fruitbine scoring the only singles win for Hills in their second 3-2 loss of the week to two-loss Dwight-Englewood. The Jake Polsky-Ari Hirshfield duo won the only doubles match for the Broncos, who dropped 7-5.

Boys Lacrosse at Cedar Grove – 8-3 Win

Lax is back on track with a big win at lowly Cedar Grove to improve to 8-5. Brendan Singleton scored yet another varsity win to continue his great junior season.

Saturday, May 11

Girls Lacrosse vs. Pompton Lakes – 7-4 Loss

The week would begin and end with a loss for girls lacrosse. Pompton Lakes had a multi-goal lead for the entire game as they improved to 4-3 in the division. Hills dropped to 1-6 in division and 4-9 overall.

Softball vs. Midland Park – 11-6 Win

On “Future Bronco Day,” when the softball team brought in players from the Montvale and Woodcliff Lake elementary and middle schools, they won their seventh game of the season against a Midland Park team whom they had struggled with in a preseason scrimmage.